A developed and progressive Mindanao resulting from a good mix of trained manpower, updated and modern technologies, sufficient financial support and quality education of development key players and service providers.
Facilitate transfer of applicable packages of technology and dissemination of useful information generated, developed and adopted by the University with the end view of enhancing the development and acceleration of growth in terms of per capita income and socio-economic well-being of the clientele, most especially, the less fortunate and underprivileged populace of the University's service regions.
The University of Southern Mindanao aims to make available its technical assets, capabilities and expertise to its service area where these are needed, useful and relevant.
Guided by its vision, mission and goal, the USM-Extension Center shall pursue the following objectives:
- To inter-relate functions of USM Extension with the goals and objectives of the various POs, GOs and NGOs;
- To serve as catalyst of development through the conduct of needed and relevant seminars, workshops, training, fora, etc;
- To enhance development through proper and timely orchestration of indigenous and new resources:
- To devote, focus and concentrate limited resources to the less fortunate and underprivileged citizens of the depressed areas within its services area;
- To provide specialist to serve as consultants, advisers and other similar functions for various development projects and training as needed; and
- To bring and translate the message of wholesome development to places within its service area regardless of distance, terrain an other adverse conditions as long as the University's technical assets, capabilities and expertise are needed, useful and relevant.
The University Extension Services Center as an outreach function of the University, is guided in its operation by the following philosophical considerations:
- Extension is a university-wide function with each academic unit expected to undertake extension activities along its subject matter areas of concern and expertise in cooperation and coordination with the other units of the University.
- Communicates research results and useful information to end-users indirectly through extension agencies or change agents.
- The University Extension Program is carried out by designated extension coordinators of the various colleges/units under the over¬all management of the Office of the Director for Extension.
- The University Extension is closely linked with instruction, research and production in ways that each mutually complements and supplements with one another.
- The undertaking of action research projects in cooperation with other agencies in order to try and validate extension approaches and strategies is an integral part of the University Extension Services Center.
The USM Extension Service Center is guided by the following principles:
- Extension activities are essentially non-formal and carried out on the clienteles' farms, homes and barangays.
- Extension links and networks with other organizations such as GOs, NGOs and POs.
- Extension diffuses information to the development partners and vice-versa.
- Extension works with heterogeneous clients and partners.
- Extension works with the people and with what they have.
- Extension work involves all the people in problem identification, organization, program planning, decision making, program execution/implementation and evaluation of extension activities.